SUTHERLAND DRUG AND ALCOHOL FORUM
Who are we?
The Sutherland Drug & Alcohol Forum was formed to promote the prevention of drug and alcohol problems amoungst the inhabitants of the Sutherland area. The Forum try to ensure that appropriate information and education is available in schools, to the individual and the general public.
What do we do?
It is our aim to reduce the risk for people engaging in Drug and inappropriate Alcohol use and to promote a greater awareness and wider understanding of Drug and Alcohol issues.
Our objectives are:
- Promote events and projects that offer a healthy lifestyle and an alternative to Drugs and Alcohol.
- Provide support for Drug and Alcohol awareness projects in the community.
- Make Sutherland D & A Forum approachable by and of benefit to the communities of Sutherland.
To achieve these objectives, we are developing links with school and youth organisations and can offer support in encouraging alternatives to misuse. We also aim to address the issues of remoteness and the problems experienced in accessing appropriate services.
Financial Assistance (Small-Bids Scheme)
The Forum also provide small sums (up to £250) to assist agencies and individuals in undertaking small-scale projects that will directly or indirectly help in reducing alcohol and drug misuse within the locality. Please contact the Forum for further information and an application form.
Achievements in 2016:
- Small bids funding awarded to North West Football League, Embo Runrigs Project, Family Peer group, to the Accordion club - Buttons and Bows as well as Tykes Young Carers in Golspie.
- Helped with contribution towards transport costs for Melvich Primary and Golspie High School to attend Rock Challenge Diversionary event in Inverness.
- Provided health training day for workers.
17th August 2017 at 10 a.m. at the Voluntary Group East Sutherland offices in Golspie. New members are welcome to come along to find out more.
Chair: Chris Cochrane - Tel: 01862 894097
Other useful local contacts:
- Sutherland Young Carers Project -01408 633017
- Voluntary Groups East Sutherland - 01408 633001
- Social Work Service - 01408 634040
- Social Inclusion Partnership - 01971 511748